What You Need To Know
Registration and Policies
- First and foremost, the Registration & Placement team is always here for you. We can answer any questions you may have and can help you as we progress through the school year. We are:
Jessica Wilcox, Student/Faculty Liaison: firstname.lastname@example.org, 781-749-7565 x37
Sharon Bohan, Campus Manager, Hingham: email@example.com, 781-749-7565 x11
Nancy Meredith, Campus Manager, Duxbury: firstname.lastname@example.org, 781-934-2731 x11
- Please call or email us if:
* You are running late or can't make your lesson
* You have questions about your payment or tuition assistance
* You are anticipating a change in schedule that might affect your lesson day/time
* You are considering a switch of teacher or instrument. If this is the case, we encourage you to schedule a phone call/meeting with the faculty member first and then let us know if we can facilitate a change for you. Sometimes a conversation with the teacher can spark new ideas and goals.
* You are considering withdrawing from lessons. Again, please discuss this with your teacher. Please note the withdrawal policy below.
* You are looking for a group class or ensemble to enrich your private lesson experience.
PLEASE NOTE: Paying a tuition online with PayPal does not automatically register you for programs and lessons. Please submit the Group Class Inquiry Form or contact our Registrar to complete the registration process.
Registration & re-registration
- SSC's academic year has 34 weeks divided into 17 week semesters, fall and spring. Students are registered for the full school year. It is not necessary to contact us to secure your slot for the spring semester. We offer more flexibility during our summer session to accommodate you and your teacher's vacation plans.
- For students already taking lessons, registration forms to secure your current time slot for the upcoming school year (2017-18) will be mailed to you at the beginning of May 2017. The deadline to return this form along with your payment option is June 1. If we do not receive the form by this date then we cannot guarantee availability of your current time slot. If you wish to change your time the registration form must also be received by June 1.
Payment & Fees
- There is an annual Registration fee if you take private lessons, $35 for an individual or $50 for a family.
- We offer a Deferred payment plan if you choose not to pay in full for the year or pay for the semester. You will automatically be assessed a $30/$60 deferred payment plan fee which will be charged with the first payment. We are now offering 2 methods of using the Deferred Plan:
- We can process your payment using the ACH (Account Clearing House) method. This plan allows your instalment to be deducted directly from your bank account. You can fill out the ACH Authorization form and either attach a voided check or enter your Routing and Account numbers. Please note that any written communication regarding ACH will be by email. The plan fee for this method is $30.
- We will charge your credit card (MC, Visa or Discover) in instalments. A credit card number is required to participate in this plan. The plan fee to use this method is $60.
- There is a Returned check fee of $25.
- If you pay in full for the year before your first lesson in September, you receive a Pay-In-Full Year Discount of $50 per student. Students receiving tuition assistance are not eligible for this discount. If you pay in full by June 15, the Registration fee will also be waived.
- If you have 3 or more private lessons registered for the complete academic year to the same account, you are eligible for a 5% Multiple lesson discount off the total cost of all the private lessons.
- 10% Senior Discounts are available to those over 62 years for both lessons and group classes. This discount does not apply to tickets for events or fundraisers.
- A 10 % discount is available for adult private lesson learners who opt for the flexi-lesson program during off-peak teaching hours, 1-3 pm and 7-9 pm Monday through Friday at both campuses, and Saturdays in Hingham. In order to qualify for the discount, adult learners must take a minimum of six 45 or 60 minute lessons within a semester. Adult learners over the age of 65 qualify for the additional 10% senior discount.
- If you are taking Private Lessons, you will receive a 10% discount on all group programs and classes. This discount is not applicable to Music Together, or summer programs. Private lesson students participating in BaYS, Pure Treble and ballet programs will receive $50 discount.
Refunds & Credits
- Withdrawal policy: Prior to 1st lesson – 100%, prior to 2nd lesson - 80%, prior to 3rd lesson – 60 %, prior to 4th lesson – 40%, prior to 5th lesson – 20%. In the event that you have enrolled and paid for an entire year's worth of lessons, and withdraw during the first semester, the above schedule is followed along with a refund of the entire second semester tuition. If you withdraw during the 2nd semester the above schedule applies. The full balance may, at the discretion of the Vice President of Finance and Administration, be left as a credit on your account.
- There are no refunds on classes, chamber groups or ensembles.
- There are no refunds on Competition fees after the Competition application deadline has passed.
- Any credit balance on your account is valid for ONE YEAR only from date of issue.
- SSC reserves the right to cancel courses if enrollment is below an acceptable minimum. In this case, ALL fees will be refunded.
- Tuition for classes, groups and ensembles is for the complete session and cannot be prorated if a student cannot attend all classes.
Makeup & Attendance
- In the event of any student absence, your instructor would appreciate notification in advance. SSC does not offer make up lessons or classes for absences and/or missed lessons that occur because students have conflicts, travel out of town, etc. or due to common place illness. Therefore, each adult student/parent is financially responsible for all lessons regardless of cancellation. This is in respect for our faculty members, who set aside a specific time for each student. This time is reserved. The teacher cannot give the reserved time away to another student or fill it again – consequently s/he does not have the opportunity to make up the lost income. Though many students and families attend consistently, some do not; this policy is a way to support our talented and dedicated faculty which in turn ensures the sustainability of SSC. Without offering SSC faculty the protection of reliable compensation, we are unable to retain faculty who will realize our core values of excellence, initiative and respect.
- The decision to close either campus on account of the weather is determined by safety conditions and state advisories. Faculty will make up 2 lessons per student due to weather related closures during the June makeup period or at another mutually agreed upon time. Beyond 2 lessons SSC cannot guarantee the fulfillment of further missed lessons due to weather related closures.
- Faculty are not required to reschedule if a student cancels or misses a mutually agreed upon make-up lesson.
Weather Related Closings
- Each campus, Hingham and Duxbury, will determine, based on the weather conditions, whether that particular campus will be open and whether classes will be held. A decision to close either campus for morning classes (including pre-school) will be made by 7:30 am, and there will be a message on the telephone greeting announcing the conditions. Staff, faculty members and students may call in after 7:30 am on weekdays and Saturdays to find out if school is cancelled. All weather announcements will also be posted on our website, and, in the event of closings/delays, notification shall also be on WATD, 95.9 FM radio. In the event of an early closing after school has begun for the day, or if classes are cancelled in the morning and we subsequently open in the afternoon, we will post the closing message on the telephone greeting and on our website by 11 AM. Teachers will be notified by the office and will in turn contact their students.
- Available for students whose families can document financial need. Application forms are available in the office and as a web form and must be filled out and returned by the due dates below. All applications will be considered by the Scholarship Committee, which meets before each semester to grant assistance. Recipients of assistance must reapply each semester. Assistance will not be given to families with an outstanding balance on their account. Please note if you pay in full for lessons, classes or programs and then apply for Tuition Assistance, we will not issue a refund if Assistance is awarded. Instead a credit will be applied to your account.
Tuition Assistance application deadlines are as follows:
Regular Tuition: Summer semester – May 15
Fall semester – July 15
Spring semester – December 15
Chamber Ensemble only: Fall - October 20
Spring – February 20
- SSC admits students and families of any race, color, national and ethnic origin, religion, marital status, political belief, sexual orientation, and disability to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the school. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin, religion, marital status, political belief, sexual orientation, and disability in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and loan programs, and other school-administered programs.
- Students may not participate in any SSC competitions or festivals with an outstanding balance on their account.
- Scholarships awarded at competitions are valid for the following school year beginning in the Fall after the competition was held.
- In accordance with Massachusetts General Law, we do provide signing services at SSC sponsored events upon request. Please call us directly to request this service at least 5 business days before the event.
- For safety reasons: 1) No pets are allowed inside SSC buildings and must be restrained if on the grounds. Service dogs or assisting animals are permitted. 2) Please take care when driving through the neighborhoods surrounding the SSC Campuses.